Friday, March 28, 2008

Adventures in Potty Training


If a picture is worth 1,000 words, then this picture says it all!!!

So . . . Peyton is going to be 2 years old in May. It's getting to be that time. But to be quite honest, I have been in no hurry to potty-train.

When Caleigh was younger than Peyton, I couldn't wait to get her potty-trained. I tried every reward system (read "bribe") in the book! I remember (not so fondly, I might add) going through 15 pairs of panties in one afternoon, only to wash them & go through ALL of them again that evening. When I had finally conquered potty-training (and let's face it -- it's training for mom & dad as much as for the child), I quickly realized that it was not all that it was cracked up to be. There was no longer such a thing as a quick trip to the store. What is it about kids that makes them have to potty once your grocery cart is full or when you are standing in the world's longest line at Walmart? If we were planning to go out, there had to be a visit to the potty right before leaving. And if we should happen to forget that little visit . . . uh oh! I remember holding Caleigh on the side of the road on the way home from church because she just couldn't wait & there wasn't a potty around for miles. Her aim could have used some improvement as she ended up peeing on her panties, her pants, & my shoes!!

I thought it would be a good idea to wait until Jason was finished this semester of seminary & had a break before summer language courses started. Things would be a little less hectic around here & I would have some sanity support in this venture. However, Peyton has other plans. She has been asking to use the potty & to wear panties. I have been reluctant to indulge her, but I do realize that when they're ready, they're ready & you better take advantage of it.

So last night, there she sat, trumpet in hand, & sprinkled on the potty. What a big girl!!! I guess I'd better go pick up some Pull-Ups (which will undoubtedly include a visit to the public potty right as we're ready to checkout).

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Diaper days are almost over!!! Congrats to Mommy!

Sharon said...

The potty training of Whooville
resident "Cindy-Lou Who"
She could be the poster child for easy potty training.
we loved it! Thanks for sharing :-)

Kris, Sarah, Evan, Isaiah, Elena, and Anna said...

Hmmm.... maybe she had the trumpet there so that she could empty the spit valve and make you THINK that she sprinkled! She's a smart cookies that Cindy Lou-Who!!