Wednesday, February 07, 2007

The Waters & The Flames

It was a tough phone call. And although the conversation was filled with well wishes, future plans, & courteous laughter, it was still a tough phone call. I spoke with our realtor yesterday. He very wisely advised me that he thinks it's too early to put our house on the market ~ if it were for sale now, someone would snatch it up & want to close on it in April or May . . . Good News!!!! But still a tough phone call . . . allow me to explain. Even though I was thrilled that this seasoned professional thinks that selling our home will be a snap, it pushed me one step closer to the reality of selling our home.

On a cold day (like yesterday) when our widows are leaking arctic air like a sieve & I have to write out the astronomical check for the oil company, I think to myself, "Praise the Lord, this is our last winter in this drafty old house." But then at night, I tuck my girls into their beds in bedrooms tailor-made for them & I hate to imagine anyone painting over Caleigh's flower garden or Peyton's polka dots.

Our pastor often uses the term "spiritual schizophrenia" ~ knowing what you should do & not doing it or knowing what you shouldn't do & doing it anyway. And sometimes that's how I feel ~ I remember when we started house-hunting, Jason & I dreamed of a house with a fireplace & a bay window. And, lo & behold, when we walked into this house for the very first time, there was a fireplace & a bay window! But then I remind myself that the 4 walls that hold my family are not as important as the family being held.

Today's devotional passage:

Fear not, for I have redeemed
you;
I have summoned you by name;
you are Mine.
When you pass through the
waters,
I will be with you;
and when you pass through the
rivers,
they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you
ablaze.
For I am the LORD, our God,
the Holy One of Israel, your
Savior.

Since you are precious and
honored in My sight,
and because I love you,
I will give men in exchange for you,
and people in exchange for your
life.
Do not be afraid, for I am with
you.

No comments: