Friday, February 09, 2007

My Funny Valentine!


We just LOVE Valentine's Day. For all of you out there who are single, I get it. It's a stupid holiday ~ just another day for Hallmark & Kay Jewelers to capitalize on. But when you are married to your best friend & have 2 beautiful children who are the loves of your life . . . it's a GREAT holiday. In our house, we observe the traditional rules of gender; therefore, the 3 of us girls share Daddy as our Valentine & Daddy shops for his 3 special Valentines.

Last night, as I was tucking Caleigh into bed, I told her that today was going to be a very busy day -- we were going shopping for Daddy's Valentine's Day gift. Being a typical 2-year-old (aka "It's All About Me"), she wanted to know where her gift was. I informed her that she was Daddy's Valentine, so if she wanted something special, she had to tell Daddy.

So . . . on this fine, brisk February morning, the girls & I ventured out in search of Daddy's Valentine's Day gift. We had great success; & truly, I wish I could tell you what we got for Jason, but he is a regular reader of this blog & I would hate to give away the surprise.

While we were in this particular store, Caleigh was so enthralled with all the things to look at (that, of course, was after we visited the potty ~ really, what is the fascination with public potties??). I wrote this off as a unexpected blessing, for it allowed me some time to carefully choose a gift. Little did I know, she was carefully filing away information in that "steel trap" of hers.

When we got home, she insisted that she needed to call Daddy & refused to tell me why. I happen to think it's adorable that she likes to talk to her Daddy throughout the day (usually to tell him that she had to sit on the naughty step, her panties are still dry, Pey-Pey's crying, or other some such toddler news), so I indulged her & just whispered a prayer that she was not going to give away Daddy's Valentine's Day surprise. After Daddy got on the phone & she was sure that she had his undivided attention, Caleigh said, "Daddy? I want a teddybear for Valentine's Day. A black & white teddybear."

While I had been consumed with picking the perfect gift for our Valentine, Caleigh had been perusing the store & carefully choosing exactly what she wanted so she could tell her Daddy the right thing.

Does life get better than this????

No comments: