Monday, February 26, 2007

My Oscar Soapbox

No, I did not watch the Academy Awards last night. No particular reason why. I mean, it would have been hours of my life wasted, when all I really care about is who won & what did they wear? I can do without hours on end of acceptance speeches.

But allow me to rant for a moment about Hollywood. Yes, I realize that I feed into the ridiculousness by signing up for Netflix & attending the movie theater. And I do think that Penelope Cruz looked stunning. But the amount of money that these people make to simply entertain us . . . ABSURD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It really tells you where America's priorities are when our doctors, firefighters, policemen, etc. (you know, the people who actually save lives) don't make even a fraction of what the Hollywood elite do! Craziness!!

One other thing utterly amazed me. And, frankly, I was impressed by my response to it. This morning, my husband caught some of the Oscar highlights on the news this morning. He informed me that someone (typical man . . . . no name) was wearing shoes that were worth $500,000 a piece!!!!! Only to be outdone by someone (again, no name) was wearing a diamond pendant that was so expensive that it couldn't even be given a dollar value!! Now the old me would have responded like so ~

"Lucky girl!
I wish I had that kind of money!
Imagine having designers, jewelers, & stylists at your beck & call!"


A newer version of me would have said ~

"Think of all the good that could be done in the world for $1,000,000!
Instead, the world has a pretty pair of shoes!"

But as of this morning I thought ~

"You know what?
My God, my Abba Father, my Dad made those diamonds.
He owns those diamonds.
He's just letting them use them for a while."





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I watched it, but I agree...especially with the firefighter/policeman comment :-)
-Your favorite brother-in-law