Tuesday, December 07, 2010

This is the Semester that Never Ends



It happens every year.  Right around this time.  I don't know why I am ever surprised.  


My birthday, Thanksgiving, the end of Jason's semester, our anniversary (10 years this year), & Christmas are all within a month of each other.  And somehow our life gets completely out of control!!


I want to go out & shop 'til I drop . . . but there's reading to be done.
I want to spend the day cooking delicious side dishes & all manner of Christmas cookies . . . but there are papers to be written.
I want the family to be together & soak in the holiday season . . . but there are projects to finish.


And so, every year, right around this time . . . I just hate seminary!


Our tree is up, some presents are wrapped, there's a chill in the air, hot cocoa fills our mugs, cookies are ready to go in the oven . . . but one very important thing is missing.  


Jason.


My best friend, lover, husband, father of my children.


And it's always around this time, in the midst of my seminary-loathing, that I find a deeper love & appreciation for this man.


He would love to shop, to bake, to spend time.  But he's being faithful to that which God has called him to accomplish.  And it's only temporary.  Just for a season.  


And so, I will keep the home fires burning, knowing that this time next week, Jason will be finished with another semester's work.  Perhaps we'll be out shopping.  Or maybe we'll be baking cookies.  Or maybe he'll being snuggling Brooks.  Or perhaps playing a game with Peyton.  Maybe we'll be wrapping some of Caleigh's presents while she's at school.  Whatever we'll be doing, we'll definitely be soaking in the holiday season!! 


And counting down the days until graduation!!!!  158 . . . but who's keeping track?!? 

2 comments:

Christine said...

You're my world, Babe. You make a home I love coming to. I miss you.

sharon said...

Are you tired of being told you are an inspiration? This old lady is so in awe of how you are handling life! The next 158 days will fly by :-)