Wednesday, December 29, 2010

My Addiction

Some people are addicted to drugs.  Some to alcohol.  Some to coffee (Okay, you could argue that I have a slight addiction to coffee).  


But today I discovered that I am addicted to purging.  No, I'm not talking about hanging my head over a toilet & voiding my stomach of its contents.  Gross.  


I'm talking about opening that cabinet, drawer, closet, bin, whatever . . . & chucking everything that you don't want or don't need or don't love.


It's WONDERFUL!!  


I've been reading a book on my new Kindle (a very thoughtful & much appreciated Christmas gift) -- The Joy of Less, a Minimalist Living Guide: How to Declutter, Organize, and Simplify Your Life.  And that got the ball rolling.


This morning, I tackled my kitchen cabinets . . . all 11 of them.  And the bench seat of our breakfast nook.  And the cabinets in the island.  And I chucked.  And chucked.  And chucked.  Okay, so I didn't chuck.  I sorted, priced, & stored in a Sterlite container for our moving sale in the spring.  Still, those unwanted, unneeded, unloved items are no longer in my living space.  


What a rush!! 


Incidentally, I think I may have passed this gene on to my daughter.  Caleigh cleaned out her drawer of notebooks, coloring books, & writing utensils.  Her comment to me afterwards was, "Mom, I feel sooo good now that that's done!"


I've created a monster.

1 comment:

shannon said...

Oh what a feeling! I love to purge as well. Less equales more!