Monday, November 30, 2009

Sacred Mondays


I know there are many of you out there who absolutely abhor Mondays. But I must admit . . . I LOVE them!!!

Since my husband became a pastor, Sundays have become the busiest "work" day of the week. Everyone is up long before the crack of dawn . . . Mom is constantly reminding everyone to move quickly -- eat breakfast, brush teeth, wash faces, get dressed. The car is packed up & everyone loaded in -- after all, we will not be back home until after 10 pm. We get to church early -- there are always lots of things to do before Sunday School starts. After the 3rd service ends, there are drama practices, worship team practices, & meetings. All day long there are people to talk to, counsel, & touch base with. And we LOVE every minute of it.

By the time we reach home, there are very few lights on in our townhouse community. We get two half-asleep little angels changed into their jammies & tucked into bed. The day is over & we are a very good version of tired. A day well spent.

More than one wise ministry wife has told me that days like that can soon become a chore & a burden if quality family down-time is not protected . . . hence the reason I LOVE Mondays.

Mondays in the Dickinson house are sacred. We avoid all extra, out-of-the-house activities if at all possible. We leisurely work our way through the laundry. We bake. We play. We watch videos. And we usually stay in our jammies (minus the 3 hours that Caleigh spends at school).

Today was extra special for us. Caleigh didn't have to go to school. The girls both slept in until 9 am. We stayed in our jammies & spent most of the day watching several of our favorite episodes from Season 1 of "Little House on the Prairie." We baked. We did projects. And now, here we sit, the girls all freshly bathed, eating bedtime snacks & watching "Mr. Edwards' Homecoming."

*Sigh* ~ I love Mondays.


3 comments:

sharon said...

I am glad Monday's have become so special for someone. It's the day of the week that I know I won't get all my work done and I just have learned to be okay with that. There's always Tuesday to clean up the mess, right?

Shannon Jacobyansky said...

I really like your Christmas blog set up! It looks great! So glad you had some good down time today!

Sarah said...

I love the idea of Sacred Mondays:). Definitely an idea I plan on stealing in the future!