Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Bargains & Blessings



I love the Salvation Army!! I discovered our local store shortly after moving here to seminary. It didn't take me long to become a regular customer. Especially on Wednesdays . . . "Family Day" . . . half off everything in the store!!

Today the girls & I ventured out (even though it's a Tuesday) in search of some "new" used books at the Salvation Army. I figured it might be a good idea to have some new entertainment on hand in light of the impending snowstorm.


We walked into the store with a crisp $20 bill in Mommy's pocket & made a bee-line for the children's book section. We hit the *Jackpot*. We found a ton of great books! We even found a Disney Princess Mini Projector book with 5 different stories . . . and it had all the pieces!!! Since Jason & I are committed to not using our credit cards, $20 was the limit. I fought the temptation to go peruse the armchairs. We will be in the market for one soon, but it was not a necessity for today.

The girls & I took our purchases to the counter, paid for them, & headed out of the store.
On our way out, something got my attention. Not far from the exit door was an armchair (see photo). It reminded me of a comfortable old slipper & had that vintage-look that I adore. Here's the best part ~ the sign on the chair said, "FREE." I quickly got the girls into the van, backed it up to the door, & went inside. I found the first available worker. I asked her about the chair & if I could go ahead & load it. She responded with, "What chair?" When I showed her, she said that she had never seen that chair before, but if it said "FREE" I could take it!!!

It is now gracing the corner of my kitchen. I already think it will be the perfect spot for my morning devotions :)

And the icing on the cake . . . shortly after the girls & I arrived home, I found out that my hubby's classes have been canceled for the day & he will be hanging out at home with us. I love snow!!!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for teaching us that beauty is more than what we see on the surface. I love reading your blog - I miss all my Dickinson girls :-(
Aunt Sharon