Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Lessons from VeggieTales

So there I was on Saturday night, driving home from the Ladies Banquet in my mini-van with my 2 toddlers in the back.

{Let me interject here that some of the ladies in our church are participating in a Bible study called "40 Days of Community." As one of their projects, they decided to reach out to a family in our church that was in need. And who do you think that lucky family was?? Needless to say, it was mine. These ladies graciously put together an absolutely AMAZING care package for the 4 of us. And among all the incredible gifts was the VeggieTale "Gideon" video ~ a new family favorite.}

Back to Saturday night . . . the girls were in the back of the van watching "Gideon" on the DVD & I was driving, mulling over all sorts of life stuff. I wasn't feeling downcast per se, but seminary life is a challege ~ the house is unsold, Jason's time is very limited, my devotions are giving me more to chew on then ever before ~ my mind was full. As I sat in my own little world, something (or Someone) brought my attention to the video (now mind you, every time we are in the van, the girls are watching some sort of video & thus, I have gotten very good at tuning it out). What I heard was a very touching conversation between Pa Grape (dressed like an angel) and Larry the Cucumber (dressed as Gideon). It is right before Gideon is to face the Midianites in battle & the angel comes to offer some encouragement. The conversation goes something like this (& forgive me, all you VeggieTale die-hards, if I don't have it 100% correct . . . I'm doing this from memory):

Gideon: Do you ever have trouble trusting God?

Angel: Me? No. I see Him everyday. I know how glorious He is. I know He never breaks His promise. I also know how much He loves you ~ He told me.

The conversation goes on & the angel adds:

"It's easy for an angel to trust God. But you have faith in something you've never even seen. I admire that."

And then the angel ends the conversation with:

"Trust Him, Gideon. He'll never let you down."

I'm telling you, Pa Grape might as well have been talking to me! My heart was so encouraged. It still makes me giggle a little.

I guess adults can learn from talking vegetables :)

No comments: