Monday, October 30, 2006

My Creative Outlet



Stay-at-home moms. The epitome of the under-appreciated. Not to discredit working moms in any way ~ you have your own unique set of struggles too. But I'm not a working mom (at least, not outside the home), I'm a SAHM. Being the primary caregiver for your children is a 24/7, no breaks, no vacations job. I was just reading an article in the paper yesterday about a woman who is suing Walmart for millions of dollars because she had to work through her lunch breaks. You know what I said?? Lunch breaks??? What lunch breaks?? I didn't know my job came with lunch breaks?? You fellow SAHMs know exactly what I mean. The second your hiney hits the chair for a breather (that is, of course, after you've made sure everyone has everything they could possible ever need for the next 10, or maybe just 5, minutes) . . . your oldest drops a toy right on the baby's head . . . the baby starts crying . . . the oldest starts crying right along because she knows she's in trouble . . . you pick up the baby to comfort her, only to discover that sometime in the past 30 seconds, she's messed her pants . . . so, now you're changing a diaper . . . but first, you have to sit the oldest on the naughty step (because you are convinced that you'll ruin her for life if you delay discipline) . . . the baby's still crying . . . your oldest is still crying . . . & now you're crying because it just seems like the right thing to do . . . and your 10 minutes is up!!!!! Can anyone relate?!?

We love our children ~ no doubt about it. And, yes, motherhood is worth every single crying jag, grey hair, & one-way-ticket-to-Tahiti-please day. But there are times when we need an outlet just for us.

Whenever I'm at the end of my rope, a very wise woman (a.k.a. Mimi) reminds me, "That's why I work." And one day, I let her words of wisdom sink in. And the result of that sinking in was Morgan Marie Designs. I started my very own, in-home, custom-created jewelry business. I needed a creative outlet. Something that I enjoyed. Something that still kept my children close (my "office" is in the playroom, what could be closer than that?), & something that would be a tribute to all that my girls have added to my life (Morgan is Caleigh's middle name & Marie is Peyton's middle name . . . hence, Morgan Marie Designs). When I'm overwhelmed & the walls feel like they're closing in on me, I make a concentrated effort to head into my "office" for some "me time."

So what's the point?? Well, fellow SAHMs. Find something just for you. Something YOU enjoy. Maybe it's a good book. Maybe it's a gourmet cup of coffee. Maybe it's a power nap. Okay, you'll have to get creative when it comes to finding those moments to steal away, but do it!! You'll feel like a whole new Mom when you're done!!

And for those days when it's IMPOSSIBLE to find that good book (or maybe your toddler decided to use it as a coloring book) or to brew that cup of coffee or to take that nap (and it happens to the best of us), remember . . . you're the only Mom they've got, so you'd better be a good one! And if that doesn't get you through the day . . . God gives us the grace we need for every day, for every situation, for every child.

No comments: