Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Great Adventure

So what do you do when you're sitting in church, minding your own business, listening to a sermon, & thinking, "This is great, but I wonder how the Lord is going to speak to ME" & here comes the Lord, ready to meet you where you are & change your life forever?

Such a thing happened to me about 2 months ago. Let me begin at the beginning . . .

One Saturday night, Jason & I went out on a date. Over dinner, we were discussing such things as "If you could meet one person, living or dead, who would it be?". Those of you who know Jason, know that his opinion of "fun" is downloading theology programs to listen to on his way to work. You may also know that his deepest heart's desire is to be in full-time ministry. So, munching on our never-ending tortilla chips from Chili's, Jason began to tell me everything he knows about Martin Luther (riveting!). This ushered us into a discussion about theology, Wesley's quadrilateral, & what does our pastor do all week??? So far, nothing out of the ordinary.

The very next morning, we headed off to church. "Open your Bibles to Galatians 1 . . ." and our pastor began to postulate about Martin Luther, Wesley's quadrilateral, & the notebooks of information he pours over all week to prepare for his sermons.

And it began to hit me ~ for a moment I felt an inkling of how Jason must feel to sit & listen to our pastor & know THAT is what he wants to do. And the fire began to stir . . .

I have no idea what our pastor said beyond that. All I know is that God was talking to me. The closing song was "Surrender."

I'm giving You my heart & all that is within
I lay it all down for the sake of You my King
I giving You my dreams, I'm laying down my rights
I'm giving up my pride for the promise of new life.
~
I'm singing You this song; I'm waiting at the cross
And all the world holds dear, I count it all as loss
For the sake of knowing You, the glory of Your name
To know the lasting joy, even sharing in Your pain.
~
And I surrender all to You, all to You
And I surrender all to You, all to You

And I stood in our pew & cried. Jason turned to me when the song was over & the only thing I could get out of my mouth was, "You're going to school!"

I always knew Jason wanted to go to school . . . that his desires of full-time Christian ministry would require school, but until that moment, I had no desire to walk that road . . . that very long, hard road.

So here we are. Through much prayer ~ much, much prayer ~ we are planning to sell our home (along with most of our possessions) & attend Philadelphia Biblical University, where Jason will work towards his Pre-seminary degree. We will give up our 4-bedroom home for a 2-bedroom apartment. It will be 4 years of watching God's hand miraculously provide for our every need, because we certainly are not independently wealthy & cannot do this on our own.

Yesterday Jason asked me what I was thinking. Why was I willing to give up all my "stuff" & go on this Great Adventure with him? And I told him that if God called us to PBU & I stayed home, I'd never be happy, even with all my stuff.

So, dear friends & family who are reading this, please send money to . . .

Just Kidding!!!!!
But seriously . . . please pray for us & with us as we embark on the Great Adventure. We have seen roadblock after roadblock knocked down by God's heavenly "bulldozer", but there are many more obstacles still in our path. We go to visit PBU on Friday. Details to follow . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jason and Christine,

WOW!! What an incredible step of faith. Please keep us posted each step of the way. I'll be praying for your family. Laurie