Thursday, February 26, 2009

What I Gave Up for Lent

Nope. Not me. Never observed Lent before in my life. Didn't know what it was -- didn't care. Until we came to seminary. Being here has exposed us to all sorts of "high church" traditions that Jason & I had never observed before, Lent being one of them. I was further intrigued on Monday night at our Townhouse Ladies Bible study when one of our ladies informed us that she was going on a "media fast" for Lent -- no TV. Wow, that's commitment.

Now, for those of you unfamiliar with Lent, let me explain: Lent is the 40-day long period of fasting & prayer before Easter. The purpose of Lent is to prepare the believer through prayer & self-denial for the celebration of Holy Week & Easter in particular.

So, heck . . . why not??? And what have I decided to give up, you ask? As much as I hate to admit it, I tend to be a rather negative person. One "bad" thing in my day can easily wipe out 10 wonderful blessings in my mind. Last night I showed up for church, sleep-deprived & unprepared for my ministry . . . & whining to anyone who would listen!!! I bet I was a peach to be around last night! So, what am I giving up?

The "Oh-Woe-Is-Me" attitude that has found permanent residence in my thoughts, my speech, & my actions!! I am evicting it!! So pack up & move out OWIM. You are no longer welcome here.

The way I see it, it takes 30 days to create a habit, so 40 days of positive thinking, counting my blessings, & praising my God when I'm tempted to complain should do the trick!!

No comments: