Thursday, February 05, 2009

Major Milestones

Another semester here at seminary has begun!! We're still feeling a little shell-shocked from the insanely busy, nigh near disastrous ending from last semester . . . however, through Christ we can do all things. So we feel up to the new challenges this semester will bring.

As Jason prepares to spend his days & nights in class & in the library, the girls & I are taking on some MAJOR projects . . . potty-training & reading!

The idea of spending my spring & summer chained to a potty did not appeal to me, so I threw caution to the wind (caution being all that advice that says, "She'll do it when she's ready. You can't push her.") & started potty-training Peyton. Now, for those of you who know Peyton, you know that she is one smart cookie . . . she just happens to be one of the most stubborn people I have ever met (hmmm, wonder where she gets that?). It did not take her long to figure out how things work & by the end of one day (did I mention it was a very looooooong day, requiring much patience & persistence?), she had peed on the potty 3 times!!! What a celebration we had!! We are almost diaper-free!!!

Our other major milestone happened when I least expected it. Caleigh recently finished mastering her alphabet in our homeschool curriculum. Just last week we started working on the short 'a' sound. Well, on Tuesday nights Jason & I help with the seminary's community meals. Jason is in class up until the time the meal starts, so basically I'm the helper. I needed something to keep the girls busy while I was in the kitchen, so I had Caleigh trace about 20 words that had the short 'a' sound in it. The next day during school, she sounded out EVERY SINGLE WORD -- she read them all!!!!!!!!! It was the coolest thing!

But when I'm not busy potty-training & reading, there are a few things that I am really looking forward to this semester. The Townhouse Ladies Bible Study is up & running again. I'm really going out on a limb this time & leading the Bible study with no book to depend upon. We are doing a study of II Peter 1:5-8:


"Supplement your faith with a generous provision of moral excellence, & moral excellence with knowledge, & knowledge with self-control, & self-control with patient endurance, & patient endurance with godliness, & godliness with brotherly affection, & brotherly affection with love for everyone. The more you grow like this, the more productive & useful you will be in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ."

I also have my hands super-full for this Easter season. I am directing a drama for the Sunday before Palm Sunday. I am also directing 3 dramas for Holy Week -- one on Maundy Thursday, one on Good Friday, & one on Easter morning. Busy, busy, busy girl. But loving every minute of it!!




No comments: