Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Goodbye, Fuzzy

In case there was any doubt, Satan is alive & well, & was hard at work in my house today. But he missed the memo that Christ has overcome the world, so despite his best efforts, I'm ending the day with a smile.

The day started off ordinarily enough. There has been a decent amount of stress in my life lately. I am the new AWANA Sparks secretary & up until last week, there were no directors in place & the program was in jeopardy of shutting down. Suffice it to say, we are up & running & have been trying to accomplish in 2 weeks what normally takes 2 months. No pressure. The first night of club is tomorrow night.

After our first school session this morning, I decided that it was time for Caleigh to take more responsibility for her hamsters -- Fuzzy & Squeeks. So for her chore for the day, she was going to have to help Mommy clean their cage. I took the hamsters out & noticed that Fuzzy was looking a little mangy. I had noticed this before, but was assured by my hubby that it was nothing to worry about. After seeing her condition close up, I decided that a call to PetSmart was in order. To make a very long story somewhat short, I ended up taking both hamsters down to the store to be looked at.

Warning: Do not continue reading if you are faint of heart!!!

The woman helping us took a look at Fuzzy & immediately knew that something was very wrong. It turns out that Fuzzy must have had a tumor of some sort growing in her belly & it was forcing her intestines out her backside. Very gross.

So at 10:30 this morning, there I was in PetSmart with a sobbing 4-year-old trying to explain the concept of putting a pet down for their own good. But we managed to get through the trauma. Fuzzy is "in Heaven with Jesus" & Tiny has joined our little family.

I'm exhausted & it took us until 7 o'clock tonight to make up all the schoolwork we missed during the hamster saga. But bedtime is not too far away.

1 comment:

Shannon Jacobyansky said...

Poor hamster! I too am involved in AWANA! I have missed the last two weeks as a listener due to my kiddos having to much homework! How is your daughter doing now after all the trauma?